If you get easily butthurt, I want you to leave now.
Now, after watching the new Death Note (Netflix of course) trailer, I am going to tell you some wrong things about it.
- Without sounding racist, this is a typical Americanised story. Shallow, filled with some appealing (to a superficial audience) explosions. This Netflix adaptation is a typical action movie you just pick when you are bored and want to relax your brain (after not using it at all)
- Can you see Nat Wolff as Light? Because for me, Nat Wolff is synonym with ‘not a suitable actor for such a complex role’. It’s not his fault, of course. And he probably has evolved since (the trash) Paper Towns turned out to be (I am sorry -or not- if you are a big John Green fan, but what did you expect?)
- Twins. This guy is probably a good actor but I am sad that they are using him to just say ‘HEY WE ARE NOT WHITEWASHING THIS, HERE YOU CAN HAVE L’. L’s vibe with those bags under his eyes is probably what kept me going.
- I don’t know if that female from the trailer is supposed to be Misa, but okay. Why does he look like this is going to be a sappy romance when Death Note is anything but romance. Light is either asexual/gay/ or suffers from narcissism.
People matching the diagnostic criteria for narcissistic personality disorder use black and white thinking, called splitting, as a central defense mechanism; they separate mental concepts into good versus evil, say, as an attempt to stabilize the sense of self in order to preserve self-esteem. Throughout the series Light certainly does show clear indications of perceiving himself as purely upright or admirable and others who do not conform to his will or values as purely wicked or contemptible.
- Death Note is not your typical action-love story Hollywood wants you to believe. It’s a political satire and plays on ideas of ‘Justice’. It is much complex than : boy gets power and decides to be a God.
I am annoyed that so many people are going to view this as as very simplistic story when, in fact, it is not.
So, what do you think? Please do argue if you think I’m wrong. I respect everyone’s opinion and I am not saying that the actors are not talented or anything. I am going to watch this anyway because I love Death Note. (and rants)